Ain’t no rest for the ‘Home Chef’!
With the Sinhala and Tamil New Year approaching, wouldn’t it be wonderful if the spirit of ‘new prosperity’ is shown in the food you serve to all your loved ones? So, time to get out of your comfort zone, put your ‘home chef’ cap on and try something novel to surprise your family and friends.
We know that sweet meats, savoury foods and special dishes are key to Sinhala and Tamil New Year. Here are some food items that you could prepare in advance, so that you too can enjoy the New Year with your loved ones without being hassled. They are a combination of exciting flavours and delicious ingredients that’ll make a very memorable new year meal. It’s going to be an unforgettable New Year this time. So, get started with these!
- Konda Kevum: An oil cake that is made with a batter of treacle, sugar, rice flour and steamed flour which are cooked to boiling point.
- Kokis: This is a deep-fried, crispy and sweet finger-food made from rice flour and coconut milk.
- Mung-Kevum: This is a combination of rice flour and green gram flour mixed with warmed treacle. The diamond-shaped pieces of this mixture are then soaked in rice flour and coconut milk batter and deep-fried.
- Athirasa: As the name implies, this is quite rich in sweetness. This oil cake is made with jaggery and rice flour which are rolled into a paste, then flattened into circles and fried.
- Murukku: This comes in a range of sizes and shapes, and is prepared using different types of flour. This snack can be savoury or sweet.
- Laddu: This sweet item is made from gram flour, rice flour, a pinch of salt, ghee and water. This is a popular item during Sinhala and Tamil New Year celebrations.
SOME HANDY TIPS TO BE WELL-PREPARED FOR THE NEW YEAR:
- Trying a new recipe? Do a prior ‘trial run’ to turn out a perfect dish on the day or before!
- Clean and marinate the meats, and cut up the vegetables the day before to save time.
- Decorate the New Year table and lay out the cutlery and crockery in advance.
- Use decorative trays and cane plates to serve. This is for attractive food presentation.
- The table can be decorated with traditional flowers like ‘araliya’ and lotus for beauty.
- Try using cookie cutters in shapes of flowers or stars for a novel twist when preparing the food items.
MAKE THIS YOUR BEST NEW YEAR!